Sunday, February 27, 2011

Online Store Review: Middle Eastern Mall

It's not like I want this place to turn into one of those hijab fashion and style blogs flooding the internet, but I recently made an online hijab and accessories order from one store, and since I had nothing but good things to say about it, I thought I'd showcase the store on here.

I love browsing through catalogues and online hijab stores, but since I already have a decent collection of oblongs and squares, I don't really purchase much of these things online. However, I've had a gorgeous black sheer chiffon amira (pull on / slip on) hijab with detailed sequin-work in my collection, which I've always been unable to wear because I did not have the proper underscarf for it. None of the regular underscarves would work, because those only cover the hair and ears at most, but since my scarf is so thin and sheer, I would need a longer underscarf that could cover my neck as well.

I searched a lot for one-piece amira hijabs, but to my surprise, its not easy to find them at all. Either stores don't carry them, or they were really high-priced. I mean, I am not about to pay $15 for a basic 1 piece scarf plus $10 shipping - that is just insane! But finally, after going through dozens of stores, I decided to ask around on the forums I go to and someone recommended I should try Middle Eastern Mall.

Alhamdulillah for this store! I had spent an entire weekend searching and searching for 1 piece amiras, but no luck. However, this place is amira heaven! They have 1 piece and 2 piece scarves in so many different styles, I was looking at their website for hours. And everything is so reasonably priced.  I subscribed to their emails, and they have so many sales and price-cuts, its amazing. Last weekend, I placed my order, and my package arrived lightning fast. I am *very* pleased with their products.

They had the perfect thing I had been looking for: Worry-free Underscarves. They are just basic slip on hijabs, however they are really short so they only are able to cover up until the neckline. And at only around $5.00, this would have been the perfect thing to buy - but they were out of stock with the black ones, and I really needed to get mine within a week because I had planned to wear my sheer sequin scarf to an event I needed to go to. So, I decided to get a black simple amira instead. (Worry-frees are back in stock now, in all sorts of colors! Check them out.) I also decided to get some arm sleeves in more colors, because I currently only have them in light green, beige and cream.

After placing my order, my package arrived within the same week, which was a very nice surprise. On opening my package, I discovered everything was packaged and wrapped so beautifully! Once, I'd ordered some sleeve-gauntlets online from a different store, however, the sleeves were just wrapped in some clear plastic wrap. However, with Middle Eastern Mall, all the products I'd ordered came in their original pretty packaging, complete with the "Made in Syria" or "Made in Jordan." stickers. All the sleeves were "Made in China" - this really amused me for some reason. The packaging especially, I thought was pretty impressive, because you can tell you're buying something new and unopened.

I bought six items in total: three Arm Sleeves in Pink, Gray and Black; a black cotton 1 piece amira (which I need to use as an underscarf under my sheer scarves); a tan jacquard 2 piece amira; and something really pretty which caught my eye - a pink malika hijab. Below are all the pictures of the items I bought. These pictures I have taken direct from Middle Eastern Mall:



I couldn't find the proper picture of my malika hijab (top-middle pic), but mine has a black band in the middle instead of white.

Here are a few more pictures of my items, which I took:

The packaging, front side

Packaging, reverse side

Three sleeves

And a closeup of the detailed sequined front on my Malika hijab. Love it!


All the scarves and sleeves are so soft and comfy - I wore my black sleeves and black underscarf today, and I can't describe how utterly soft it was - it didn't even feel like I was wearing an underscarf, the ones I had were always so tight or they kept pulling at my hair. And the sleeves are in the perfect material as well - I've bought some Egyptian Cotton sleeves and Polyster sleeves previously from other places, but the Egyptian Cotton has started to wrinkle a lot, and there's lint on it as well. And the polyster one, though it has a very nice sheen, sometimes slips, so I'm constantly adjusting it. But the ones I just got are in the same sort of material as a T-shirt would be, so its very comfortable. I was even able to crease and fold them in a little so as to  move them away from my wrist a bit and make wearing bracelets more feasible - I can definitely not do that with my Egyptian Cotton sleeves, because the folds don't stay since its quite a thick material. The other scarves are really great too - its my first time buying a jacquard scarf, so I wasn't sure what it would be like, however, I love the self-design on this one. It has some ornamental stitching in the same color criscrossing all over the scarf. The Malika hijab is my utmost favourite though - a nice blend of cotton, with a fancy design on the front, and this happens to be my favorite color.

Overall, I'd say I had a very good experience. I'm usually wary to buy things online, because you can't really see or touch what you're buying, but I would definitely recommend this store to everyone! They have amazing quality items at reasonable pricing, fast shipping, What more could you ask for? So thank you, Middle Eastern Mall!

I've also ordered a package from Shop the Souq (http://www.shopthesouq.com/), which I'm still waiting to receive, but InshaAllah, I'll do another review for those items as well.

If someone is wondering what the sleeves are for, since we are supposed to cover everything except our face and hands, these sleeves make it easier to wear tops with three-quarter or half sleeves and still get full coverage. You don't even have to wear an entire shirt underneath - just pull on these sleeves, and you're set. Alhamdulillah.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaam aleykum,

    I also shop from MiddleEasternMall by few years,
    Alhamdu'lillah their prices are affordable, the shipping is low and this does not minimise the quality of their products. Their delivery is truly fast Subhan'Allah, I am from an eastern Europe country, not UK though, still I got my orders in about 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Hayatto - Wa'alaikum assalam. Thanks for your comment. Alhamdulillah, Middle Eastern Mall is a good store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks, I'm not a Muslim but I would really like to wear a hijab.

    I was looking at this one http://www.middleeasternmall.com/stripe-trim-hijab-pi-3827.html?image=0
    but then I wasn't sure if I really wanted to buy from this place, and a good review, not only on prices, but shipping time, and quality of material helped me make my mind up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anonymous:

    Hi! Thanks for stopping by and reading my super long, indepth review. :) That red hijab in your link is absolutely *gorgeous*. Definitely, there's no problem with the store, so if you like the design of the item, I'd say go for it.

    I'm also a little curious why you'd like to wear a hijab when you're not a muslim? Whatever the reasons, welcome to the idea of wanting to become a hijabi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love middleeasternmall. I am not sure why it doesn't get as much coverage in blogs as other store. My favorite sleeves and underscarves are from them. I am glad to see you review them here :) I know this is such an old post but just had to comment. That Malika hijab is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Aiya Salim - Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did make this post a very long time ago, and even moved countries since then. If I'm ever in the vicinity again, I will definitely order from Middle Eastern Mall once more - its one of my favourite online hijab stores. :)

      Delete
  7. Voilechic.ca is the nice option to buy hijabs and we provide the great quality and fair ensured about hijabs. Here are possibilities for the hijab store online, I am the hijab design shop.

    ReplyDelete